Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Once Lost, Now Found



The Lost Coast. I've heard about it for so long and wanted to visit- at last I got my chance today.
My father and I started late in Miranda, but we started the day right. I ordered stick-to-your-ribs oatmeal and felt my body shoot to a full tank of all-day endurance.

We stopped along the way at Avenue of the Giants for a walk around Rockefeller Grove. Since more than half of the world's tallest trees include the redwoods of Humboldt County, we needed to get a better look. I was proud of my dad for persuading me to ford the stream with him when the seasonal bridge was out.

By lunch, we found ourselves on the beach at the Lost Coast entrance in the north end. I sipped a red seal ale while slogging through the sand and enjoying the companionship of crashing waves. It had been raining that morning, but the sky cleared up just for us when our feet hit the sand.

The day was far from over, for we would be meeting up with a couple Brooklyn buddies who now live near Arcada and attend the Dell'Arte school. As the sun was setting, I suggested a 40 minute detour to the Patrick Point State Park for a dramatic view of whales and sunsets. It was worth every minute out of our way.

Claire and Max met us back in Arcada at Humboldt Brews for dinner. I had my usual local nutty brown and my dad ordered the Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat. The Northcoast microbrewery is a true thing of beauty and I wish I could have tried them all. Next time I can't miss a chance to try the Red Nectar Hemp Ale

As much as I enjoyed my oatmeal, I was famished and ate every scrap of my shroomers delight burger with Cypress Grove Chevre- right down to the last fry.

I am typing this out on my phone, exhausted, but thoroughly content to be in a lovely place with a wonderful father and friends.

Who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment