Sunday, November 8, 2009

Boxcar Betty






Okay, so it's an Amtrak, not a freight train. I've always wanted to travel the country by train and now that I have the luxury of time, I'm on my way.

I squeezed as much stuff into my bags as I could, and I don't think one more thing can be added along the way. Hardly believed my checked bag was a mere 38 pounds.

The bad decision I made with packing was giving sentimental items priority over food. But then again, that gives me an excuse to experience the dining car.

The California Zephyr is one of the most popular American scenic trains. Some of the highlights will be Donner Pass, the Rockies, canyons in Colorado, and I may just catch a glimpse of the Great Salt Lake if I'm up at 4 in the morning. Personal highlights will be 52 hours of knitting, writing, reading, and the companionship of me, myself, and my ipod until I arrive in Chicago.

Okay, mountains. I'm ready for you. I just hope I picked the good side of the train for the perfect window seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment