Monday, November 23, 2009

Candles and Butterflies


It feels like I just got back to New York and I immediately ran off to Massachusetts for the holiday week. My sublet goes through the month, so some time in the Berkshires (my last home before moving to Brooklyn) will give me the chance to couch surf, enjoy a big Thanksgiving, and get the last week of wanderlust out of my system before I settle back in my own place.

I'm spending the day with my friend, JP, at Magic Wings in Deerfield. JP brought his mother to the butterfly conservatory for her birthday and let me tag along. He's a professional photographer and chef, so our outings are always interesting.

This conservatory is enormous, and houses exotic birds, reptiles, plants and flowers in addition to thousands of butterflies. You can even see butterflies hatching straight from the chrysalis.

Afterwards, we went to the Yankee Candle Company right up the road. I don't usually get caught up in the Christmas frenzy but at this time of year, it's nice to get drop-kicked into it if you're otherwise a bit of a grinch. Every inch of this place was decked out in full blown holiday cheer and every imaginable candle scent under the sun. What, exactly, is a "beach towel" supposed to smell like?


JP was getting restless as his mom and I wandered around the store for hours, transfixed by bright lights and shiny objects. He found the corner of the store where you can custom dye your own personal candle. He went with the complicated rainbow taper.


I'm officially in the holiday spirit, but I'll back up and deal with Thanksgiving first.

No comments:

Post a Comment