Sunday, December 27, 2009

From the Other Side

I'm getting ready to leave Jersey City and get back to Brooklyn. I can't wait. Jersey City is nice in a lot of ways; it's close to downtown Manhattan, it's quiet, it's clean. I get it. But there's something about it that isn't for me. As much as I hate noise, the police sirens and music blasting from a hoopty idling at a stoplight, the gospel music pouring out of the church down the street, the hipsters comparing benders from the night before- those sounds are what make my neighborhood my neighborhood. I think I need a little chaos and dishevelment.

The JC does have some incredible views of the city, simply breathtaking at night or dusk:


This shows part of the 9-11 memorial along the waterway, constructed out of surviving metal:


Here's a view from the tip of Liberty State Park. If you look closely, you can see the edge of Lady Liberty's arm peeking from behind the water tower.

What I don't like are all the high-rise luxury condos.


At that same park, there's a cool old Colgate clock, which is nicely juxtaposed against the backdrop of Manhattan.





I did really like the Paulus Hook neighborhood and all the pre-war buildings. I wish the new apartments could find a way to harmonize with the originals.


One thing's for sure- whenever I'm somewhere else, it really makes me appreciate Brooklyn. Here I come!


No comments:

Post a Comment