Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tim Burton and American Folk Art

Desperate for culture, I ventured to MoMa last night for free Fridays. (You'd be surprised how many wonderful things you can do in New York on a shoestring, or for next to nothing. Even someone as frugal as I am can reap the benefits of the city sights.) Many of the museums have a free day once a month or more for people like me.

The big draw this visit was the Tim Burton exhibit- I was lucky I got there right when the doors opened at 4, or I wouldn't have gotten a time slot on my ticket. The exhibit was so crowded, lots of the Friday night crew gets turned away. This featured the artist's work throughout his life, including sketches and early videos he made as a child and young adult. In addition to being a genius director and producer, Tim Burton is an incredibly talented writer, illustrator, and photographer. Wish I had some photos to share, but there was a very strict no-camera policy by the gestapo security guards.

I was allowed to take pictures everywhere else:

Including new work by Gabriel Orozco:



One of my favorite paintings, Henri Rousseau's The Dream:

And lots of Monet's Waterlilies, which are displayed in seven large panels on the second floor. These always bring me instant calm, even in the Friday night hoard of visitors.



The photos don't do it justice, but here's a close up to get a better idea:


An added bonus is the gem of The American Folk Art Museum, just next door. This is a real treasure, not so hidden in Manhattan, but very often overlooked. And it's also free on Fridays, often with live music and receptions. Don't miss the enormous crocheted rug discovered in a woman's attic, made entirely out of recycled Wonderbread bags.
And on the same block is The Modern, a restaurant icon, which I have yet to visit. The list of things to do gets something added to it every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment